I oppose any tax increase for the City of Chico, and state of California. There was an over 55 Billion dollar surplus in the state of California. 3 years ago it was 19 Billion dollars. Two years ago it was 20 Billion dollars. One year ago it was 21 Billion dollars..Where did it go? Ask the state to fund any taxes for the City of Chico. Otherwise you will squander it on the homeless and illegal aliens.

7 Votes Created
Default_avatar
Concerned Citizen 4 months ago

No taxation without representation or accountability.

Vote
Default_avatar
Joseph Azzarito 4 months ago

With the retirement of Police Chief Michael O'Brian, we need to take a long hard look at all of these tax increase proposals being brought up. Over the past sixteen years that I have resided in Chico, there have been close to five police and fire chiefs each serving. When each one retires, quite youthful I might add, Chico is faced with expending hundreds of thousands of dollars each year for no service rendered. Additionally, current city staff, along with council members pays and benefits amount to another several million dollars a year. How are we ever going to afford to provide the services that the city's citizens deserve? The lowest ranking workers get let go, along with the services they would have performed, leaving the top echelon feeding like piranha at the trough. On cable TV at present, is the George Orwell movie 1984. Today is beginning to look a lot like the movie. He who controls the Past controls the Future. He who controls the Future, controls the Present. The inner party has to go for the rest of us to survive. I have repeatedly called for no tax increase but vastly reduced salaries and benefits to conform to what the local workers earn. The California Rule which dictates what has been the norm, can be overturned but is most difficult. Query the rule and learn what we can accomplish with out constant need for tax increases.

Vote
Default_avatar
Michele Burton 4 months ago

I oppose a city sales tax. The majority city council has an agenda all their own, without the representation of the entire community. If the sales tax was designated for a specific purpose, I may support it, but when the funds go into the general funds, there's no telling what the funds will be used for. I have no trust in this council, sad but true.

Vote
Default_avatar
Dave Howell 3 months ago

" If the sales tax was designated for a specific purpose, I may support it..."

Why? They will just funnel more of the money that is currently going for that specific purpose to the pensions, other post-employment benefits, etc. Money is fungible, so they will play shell games. Don't be fooled.

Vote
Default_avatar
Dave Howell 3 months ago

Until the pensions and OPEB are reformed you will face ever increasing taxes, and your roads and other infrastructure will continue to be terrible.

Vote
Default_avatar
Dave Howell 3 months ago

The unfunded liabilities, mainly pensions and OPEB, are unsustainable. No city in this state has fixed that problem with tax increases. Until the unfunded liabilities are reformed you will face ever increasing taxes, and your roads and other infrastructure will continue to be terrible.

Vote
Default_avatar
Joseph Azzarito 3 months ago

I second Dave Howell's comments regarding OPEBs. Do not attempt to side step the real elephant in the room - all of public employee's bloated beyond recognition salaries and benefits packages. Government staffs love tax increases especially the very highly paid ones. It keeps them happy and fulfilled while the rest of us suffer. Do not advance any tax measure with the lying carrot that roads will be fixed. If it tales $13,000,000 to really repave the roads, do it on the backs of the few thousand or so employees of Chico, not on our dime but theirs. City employees make up less than 3% of the citizenry but earn way disproportionally more than the other 97%. Again, NO on TAXES NOW OR EVER

Vote
Default_avatar
Joseph Azzarito 3 months ago

Listened on television to the city council meeting. Closed captions for us hearing impaired would have helped. Constantin's push to immediately approve the tax measure fell on deaf ears, not just mine. Transparency will not prevail till they own up to the bonded debt real expenditure they refuse to talk about. How do they arrive at 9 or 18 million dollars of new sales tax receipts? It's a lie, I can prove it. Show me your calculations! For once, appreciate Stone's position on rejecting a sales tax. The two conservatives were not as adamant. How can a 20-21 budget get approved - on the backs of a sales tax win? Government operates on a cost plus basis. Layoff the little people but keep the chiefs in place- what a deal!

Vote